Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Future of Desperate Houseflies: Your Input Wanted

I hope Al doesn't mind my posting this. He's out of pocket for a few days, so I couldn't run it by him, and it seemed like a good idea, so here goes. (What's the old saying? "Easier to get forgiveness than permission," or something like that?)

The future of this blog is currently under discussion. Al started DH specifically as a group blog, the idea being that that would generate more discussion. As you've probably noticed, there hasn't been much discussion for the past several months, and only 2 or 3 people even posting. With neither a group blogging, nor much discussion happening, one wonders if there's any point in continuing.

Maybe DH has run its course and it's time to retire it and let those still around reclaim their time for other pursuits.

On the other hand, while posting and discussion are down, visits to the blog have remained steady or even ticked up a bit. So it seems somebody keeps coming to see what the Houseflies are up to. What's more, they don't even seem to be just -- or even mostly -- the Houseflies and their immediate families. (This falls in the "truth is stranger than fiction" category, I believe.)

So, if you're a lurker here'bouts (or even a sometime contributor), and you have an opinion one way or the other on retiring this blog, we'd like to hear from you. I don't think our current settings allow anonymous comments, but you can comment using a pseudonymous account if you'd prefer to remain unknown. (If you don't have an account, it takes about 2 minutes to set one up.)

To Housefly, or not to Housefly? That is the question. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Whitney said...

Well, I get a lot from the houseflies, but it seems to me that a lot of times it's the same ol' stuff over and over.

However, I don't personally have anything fresh to add, so I cannot complain. I read a lot, but haven't commented in a long time b/c I've been quite busy. Joe's been away and is moving to a job that will keep him busier than he's been in years, so I wouldn't count on him for future contributions.

I think our lives are just...um...active. Sandi has a new baby; Mikey is busy basking; DeJon is a grad student living across the street from The Mont (anyone from OU out there?); I'm moving (and taking Joe with me). I think we're just in one of those times where everyone wants to see what's happening but doesn't have time to get all that involved, because you have to admit that this can consume you if you let it. I had to get away from that.

Still love you guys though, and like to read what is posted.

Aloha!! We'll be setting foot on the Island of Oahu tomorrow.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Terry Austin said...

If you're gonna keep me and my pseudonymous username around, I need one thing from this place:

More cowbell.

7:39 PM  
Blogger ChrisG said...

I enjoy reading what's posted here, though I have been a very poor commenter this past year. I only know one of the posters, which might be part of why I hestitate. That, and I've been up to my swamp in exam stuff the last year. That's settling down - so if you keep writing, I'll keep reading, and I'll even comment.

5:44 AM  
Blogger C-Love said...

I'd like to see it live on, if for no other reason than Terry's comments.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unicorn said...

I'm sort of an "outsider", haven't posted or commented lately, but read regularly.

Hope you stick around until I find something worth posting - or get inspired to comment

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page