Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Archbishop of Boston Declares NAMBLA the Model for the New Church

Whatever our political persuasion, I think we can all agree on 2 things: things are not going as well in Iraq as we'd like; and an Arab/Muslim version of "My Favorite Things" likely would not include Israel. Not only can we all agree on those things, I would think we all take them as rather obvious. I mean, I don't know when you last forgot that the Arabs and Israel don't get along, but it's been a good while for me.

So why, oh, why is the President of the United States saying Israel is our model for the new Iraq?

That thumping sound you hear is me banging my head on my desk. I mean, sweet Italian Jesus, who thought this would be an appropriate comparison to make? Which White House speechwriter is so tin-eared he doesn't understand how that's going to sound in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East? How is saying it supposed to be helpful to our cause?

Honestly, I'd give most anything at this point for mere competence in the executive branch. Nothing fancy. It could still be hardcore Republican. Just competent hardcore Republican. Is that really so much to ask?

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Yeahp. That's absolutely baffling. I really don't have a response to it.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Okay, I've been wanting to do a "best of" post of titles from houseflies posts... this one has to be in the list of nominees.
:-)

4:24 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Hee. Thanks. It was the only thing I could come up with that was comparable to the president's remarks.

I don't think there's all that much to say about it, Mikey. One can only smack one's forehead. (Or, in my case, bang it on one's desk.)

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page