Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Spring Break

I love that I'm 32 and still get Spring Break. When I was an undergrad, it was a big deal. We started planning it in November or so. My friends and I went skiing one year and to Florida two years. Our spring breaks were mostly mild -- nothing Girls-Gone-Wild worthy. But I remember getting excited about the plans. Even though most of the time we ended up just sitting on a beach or throwing a frisbee.

I still get excited. Although my planning started Sunday night when I bought my ticket for Memphis. JU is picking me up from the airport tomorrow and we're meeting another friend for some shenanigans in Memphis. Then it's home for some playing in the dirt with my nephews.

I just finished the last of my student conferences for the day, and I've now officially got spring break fever.

Things I plan to do over the break (other than play with my nephews):

1) Read a healthy portion of Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon. I'm 300 pages in and love it. If you like rambling narratives with odd story lines and some a-little-too-clever dialogue, this is the book for you.

2) Buy a pair of cowboy boots. You can't find a decent pair in California. At least not at the beach.


3) Finish watching Season 2 of Gray's Anatomy. I know, I know. The Austin family makes me watch it when I go over to their house. The first couple of times, I pretended I was too good for such low-brow entertainment. But when it comes down to it, I have the world's biggest crush on Izzie and so there. I'm hooked.

4) Tell lots of obnoxious stories about movie stars and warm weather and dolphins. And show off my tan. Because while the rest of the world has been freezing this winter, we've been basking in perfect weather. I didn't even know what basking meant until this winter. Now I know that it means: I'm luckier than you and I shall let you know about it.

5) Construct the perfect NCAA bracket.

6) Sleep. Unless the flying squirrels are still in the walls of my parents' home. In which case I'll neglect sleep in order to find and kill the squirrels. Then I'll sleep.

I think that's about it. Unlike Al, I like to not make too many plans for myself (have you read his blog? He does more on his days off than I do in a semester). As you can tell, I'm not an adrenaline junkie. I like the quiet life. I like to not pack my days too full. I like to bask.

8 Comments:

Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Lucky baskard.

What's up with the cowboy boots? (I hear they sell some nice ones in Red Onion, btw.)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

I bask in such sentiments!

I just want a pair of boots -- no real reason. Other than I need something classy for those rare times when flip-flops just won't do.

5:15 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Like Anna Nicole's funeral, fer instance.

Boots I can go along with. I'm thinking of getting a pair, myself. But I can't do cowboy boots. They murder my feet. Murder, I say. (A friend at work tells me this is because they're not made for standing or walking in; they're made for riding a horse. I think this makes entirely too much sense to be true.) Not so with you?

If you're going to get cowboy boots, they totally should be red. Like Katie Holmes's in Wonder Boys. Or Nolan Richardson's.

You'd be the sexiest beast at the funeral.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

You'd have to pick a day like today to rub it in.

But it was a good day. Just no basking.
:-)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Terry Austin said...

Izzie. Yow.

We only make you watch GA because we have no lives. We are parents of small children, and we're about to get parentier.

Maybe the baby will arrive while you're home. That'll be entertaining.

8:16 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Construct the perfect NCAA bracket.

They still have those? Wow. Who do you like this year?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

I've watched all of about 15 minutes of college basketball this year -- too busy basking -- and so I'll have to do my homework and get back with you on that one. Did the Razorbacks even dress out a team this year? Syracuse, I've heard, is coming on strong here at the end of the season, so I'll probably have them going too far in the tourney in my bracket.

Cowboy boots. Just to look cool. Like the Marlboro man. Maybe I'll buy a horse to go with them.

Whitney -- I'm glad someone here understands the basking. Do you enjoy telling all of your landlocked friends about the joys of the beach and perfect weather as much as I do? I'll miss it, but a week here or there without the beach isn't so bad.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Terry Austin said...

Razorbacks... ugh.

They showed some promise, but they're wildly inconsistent. And now there are loud whispers that Stan Heath will be gone if the team doesn't go to the NCAA tourney. (Which it won't.)

Broyles gone, Nutt and Heath on very hot seats. You may need a program to recognize UA athletic department officials in 2008.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page