Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Belated Update on Spring Break

Living and working on a beach, I sometimes forget when I'm on break and when I'm working. So I forgot to give all of you an update on how my Spring Break went a couple of weeks ago. Which I'm certain you are eager to hear about. (And my thanks to Whitney for tanning for me in my absence.)

1. I learned something about myself: good weather follows me whereversoever I go. It was sunny and 75 everyday I was home. People should pay me to visit them.

2. Played lots of swords with my nephews. They love swords. And hitting things in general. Joshy -- the 5 year old -- is well on his way to becoming a major league baseball player. He can hit the snot out of a ball. Plus he's cute in his helmet.

3. I didn't get to read as much as I wanted, so I'm only around page 500 on the Pynchon book, which I find myself going back and reading passages of just because they're so good. It's really not a book for people who don't have a couple of months to devote to one book. But if you do, pick it up. (Also, it's one of those books that I was having a problem with creating different "voices" in my head for, so I downloaded the audio-version via iTunes, and now I listen to an excellent reader read the book whilst following along in the book with my eyes. I do this occassionally, and it is a great way to read books -- especially long ones, I found.)

4. When a woman is very, very great with child, you can actually see the child stretching in her belly. Didn't know that, not having been around someone as great with child before as my friend was a couple of weeks ago.

5. I still love my mom's cooking (have you ever had fried mashed potatoes? mmmmm....). And dad's. He makes a mean pizza. And it don't cost a thing.

6. Despite all of my boasts of living on the beach (which I actually don't live on the beach -- I live about 8 miles from it), I think I've matured a bit. I was determined in my early 20s to get as far away from my hometown as I could. And I did. But I really like going back now. I look forward to it. Because of my nephews and my family and because my friends there are the best I've ever had -- we always pick up right where we left off. And they let me say whatever I want without judging me. And they're good fun to be around.

7. If you're ever in the Memphis airport...okay, so I'm not one of those people who likes to people-watch. When I'm in an airport, I have my iPod on, a book open, and a don't-even-think-about-talking-to-me look on my face. So I rarely look up. Because people in airports LOVE to talk. But I was sitting in the Memphis airport, and I think I saw Tom Arnold (of Rossanne fame). About 5 times. Is it Memphis? Or do a lot of people look like Tom Arnold?

I think that's about it. It was fun to be home. It's fun to be back. I live in fear of the day I have to get a job in a world where there is no spring break.

1 Comments:

Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

It's Memphis.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page