Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

No Politics Today

I wish this break were under better circumstances. I was born in Biloxi and raised there and in Ocean Springs, went to college in Louisiana, and have many friends and family who were in the path of the hurricane. So this is hitting me pretty hard. I just talked to my friend Danielle who is from Diamondhead and now lives in St. Louis, MO, and she said it was really hard because she was expected to be working when all she could do is wonder if her childhood home was still standing. I have not been able to concentrate either.

At this point, the extent of the damage is still not known, but what we have learned is pretty much all bad. As I just said in my response to the earlier post, my brother (foolishly) elected to stay at my parents' house in Biloxi rather than evacuate to Alabama with them. Their house is 5 miles north of the interstate in Woolmarket, so I assume that he is okay but there is no way to know. I can't do anything but watch CNN and feel sad that my entire hometown has been destroyed and so many people have died. I wish I had something more profound to say but words fail me at such times.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandi said...

good news for my family, their house is okay and all family members are fine. but I am devastated about what is going on in New Orleans and other places that are flooded. I have been just sick about it all week. I have a friend who worked at Charity Hospital (she is a nurse) through the storm and we have been very worried about her, I got a text message from her last night after I sent her one, I don't know how her phone had lasted that long since they have been without power. At this hour I don't know if she has been rescued yet, though I hear that Charity has been evacuated.

Just in, they expect the death toll in MS could be 1000. And in NO, we won't know for a long time. I hope I never see anything like this again. I'm not sure I can take it.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page