Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Quick Hits

My reasons why the Cardinals won't win the Series:
1) Complacency: Name the last time the World Series Champ won their division with more than a 4-game lead. Answer: 1998. The last three champions didn't even with their division. This is no fluke.
2) Pitching: As a nay-sayer, I am mum on Chris Carpenter. The guy is lights out. Mulder hasn't been the stopper they expected, and Suppan is not a shabby third guy. However, Cardinals fans can't like the prospects of Jason Marquis or Matt Morris pitching to post-season hitters given their post-All-Star-break performance. Marquis is 1 and 8 in his last 9 decision with an ERA of almost five and a half. Morris has drawn 5 losses in his last 10 stars, managing to keep his ERA just below 4. The Cards have some young guns, but is the post-season the place to break them in?
Injuries
3) Injuries: Scott Rolen is done and Larry Walker have been out, and reports say Rolen is done for the year. Save Pujols, Rolen is the one guy the Cardinals couldn't lose. He had an MVP's impact on last year's playoff run. It appears Walker will be back and So Taguchi has been admirable in reserve duty, but time will tell if Walker's 38 year-old frame has anything left to contribute.

NFL
If you don't read Peter King's weekly Monday Morning Quarterback, it is well worth your time. I bet even those that don't care about the NFL will appreciate his full-spectrum, world-class writing.

Finally, here's a week apology for my lack of content on Friday's. I'm hoping Coach Al will bench me. I think I'm best suited for platoon duty.

9 Comments:

Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Sure, catch me out of town at a Braves game and take some shots at the Cardinals!!! If I wanted to be a smart aleck, I would either (a) point everyone to the Cardinals come-from-behind ninth inning five-run rally the day this article was published, or (b) offer a "my reasons the Cubs won't win the series" retort...
:-)

Instead, I'll have to agree that DeJon's points are all excellent, and they have me worried. The complacency thing worries me a lot. I'm not as concerned about the pitching, however. I think Carpenter and Mulder will be solid, and I think Matty Mo will be solid, too. I think Marquis is a fourth starter who should only pitch once in a 7-game series, and if in the World Series, only in a NL park where his bat can give us a definite advantage. I don't think Suppan should do anything more than be available as a "looonnnggg" reliever (definitely not a pinch runner!). The injuries worry me, too. Nunez is a good-enough replacement for Rolen, and Molina is back. We HAVE to have Sanders back healthy, and w/o Walker playing well, I'll be a bit concerned, too.

Here's another concern for me: I think the Marlins will win the wildcard. We'd have to play them first, and that concerns me. I may eat these words, but after watching the Braves/Padres the past two days, I'm not worried about the NL Championship Series so much. The opening round, yes...

What worries me about the World Series should we get there are two in number: The Sawks and the Yanks. All the mystique crap. DeJon's "complacency" and "injury" arguments, combined with a home-field disadvantage and a so-so inter-league record give me cause for concern, too.

I'm still not complaining. I could be a Cubs fan.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

As a Cards fan, I have to admit that I've been pleasantly surprised by the pitching this year, Marquis excepted as he has dropped off terribly, BUT, I think another problem is our closer. Izzy is absolutely frustrating. But I don't think the Cards will be able to hit in the post season. The bench has been great as stop-gaps, but no way they can carry the load through a series. And I'm with Al about the Marlins. They could be scarey, although, two of their three shutouts recently were against the Dodgers, who are, ummmm....pathetic hitters. I think the Braves are better than they've been playing lately, Al. They're my pick for the NLCS winner. Mikey

1:39 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Good point about Izzy. We'll definitely need last year's version of the bullpen, more than this year's version...

Once again, I may eat my words, but the Braves don't worry me much. I'm beginning to wonder if they will even hold on to their division. The Marlins may end up taking them (I think the Phillies will cool off, the Nationals will drop off, and the Mets will come up short, too). I think the Braves' story with the rookies is cool, but I can't think it will last thru the post-season. I think they will fold under pressure.

The Astros and their Big Three always scare me, but I think the Marlins are stronger all around. If the Astros get the wildcard, then they'd have a definite shot at the NLCS. I'd pick the 'Stros over any NL East team in Round One EXCEPT the Marlins. I'd go so far as to bet that they'd sweep the Braves.

6:14 AM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

Al, I deserve all barbs for picking on your Cards, but one thing I failed to write and should've is my reason for picking on St. Louis.

The reason: They make the argument pretty hard.

Not only does their record prove it, but there is no single facet of the game in which they aren't the best or nearly the best in the NL.

The other team's flaws are too glaring to make for an interesting post. And it is more fun to pick at the seams of a near seamless team that to point out the obvious like Houston's offense or Atlanta's youth.

I am now forced to watch the playoff race as a student of the game and not fueled by hope for my Cubs. But take comfort in this. It does deepen the wound to see our nemesis at the top of the heap.

Please don't take my monologue as a rant from sulking, petulant Cub's fan. No matter how accurate the description.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Alright, Joe and DeJon (and anyone else who wants in), how about a little NL August Madness competition?

1st round (40 pts possible, 10 pts each): Which four teams will make it to the post-season?

My picks: St. Louis, San Diego, Atlanta, Florida

2nd round (40 pts possible, 20 pts each): Which two teams will make it to the NLCS?

My picks: St. Louis & Florida (either Florida beat out Atlanta for the division, or Florida upsets St. Louis 1st round and I salvage 20 points)

3rd round (40 pts possible): Who wins the NL pennant?

I'm going with St. Louis

120 points possible - may the best man win...

11:38 AM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

I'm in...

1st Round: Padres, Cards, Braves, Phillies. (Cubs bar the 'Stros from the playoffs by taking 6 of 7 in the last 9 days of the season. My premature apologies, Joe.)

2nd Round: Cards, Braves.

3rd Round: Cards.

WS: Angels over Cards in 7

2:58 PM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

I'll admit my WC pick is rooted in wild-eyed hope. But I think we're sitting on some real talent in double & triple A. The kind that will be called up with roster expansion. Those guys will really be in the swing of things by the last week.

All I'm saying ... There's a realm of possibility woven in to my pipe dream.

5:29 PM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

And I really think we should be forced to call a Series champ also. Even though Joe & Al's picks are more predictable than the ending of Hulk Hogan's rasslin' match in Summer Slam.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

I've got the Cardinals winning the Series.

Surprise!!!!!!

I'll go with the Cards in 7 in a rematch with the Sawks (red, that is, if you couldn't tell from the accent).

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page