Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Feeling the Rush

I am currently in the bowels of that infernal land known as reviewing for the bar. I'm sorry to make excuses, as I know my fellow bloggers are also busy, but I'll give you the bare bones of what I was going to write about, and you can respond how you like.

I thought I'd throw in a pigskin article to break the midsummer monotony. I was going to discuss what makes a good QB, then give you my top five of all time. Instead, I'll just give you the list:

1. John Elway
2. Joe Montana
3. Brett Favre
4. Dan Marino
5. Peyton Manning

Feel free to post your list and/or what you think separates the immortals from the pack.

4 Comments:

Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Well, I'm an old Roger Staubach fan, but I have to admit that it would be hard to break into that list...

Different types of QBs exist, tho...

SCRAMBLERS:
1. Elway
2. Staubach

GRITTY LEADERS:
1. Favre
2. Montana

STEP BACK AND FIRE:
1. Marino
2. Peyton Manning

I'm with you on Elway overall, though - he qualifies as top 3 on all 3 categories...

6:03 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

I always get into trouble on this subject. Nonetheless...

I agree with Al that it depends on how you define the QB position. I list them here in the order I think they're important to the position.

Passers:
1. Marino
2. Moon
3. P. Manning
4. Elway

Leaders:
1. Montana
2. Starr
3. Staubach
4. Favre

Scramblers:
1. Young
2. Tarkenton
3. Favre
4. Marino

Runners:
1. Young
2. Cunningham
3. Elway
4. Favre

I know, I know. Marino? On a scramblers list? Here's the deal. To me, scrambling is buying time in order to get off a good pass, not trying to gain yardage on foot (running). Marino was a horrible runner, but he was brilliant at moving within the pocket to buy time.

Overall, I give the nod to Marino. (Full disclosure: I'm a Dolfan.) Why? Not because of any of the numbers, but simply because I've never seen any other QB make so many plays, week after week, I didn't think were possible. For 6 years in the 80s, he was Koufax.

9:23 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

I guess Ken Stabler would have to be on the Scramblers list somewhere, too.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page