Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Faith: shout for it or against it ... but for God's sake, don't live it

Call me a homer, but the news from the Air Force Academy (a.k.a. the DoD's center for media scandals) caught my eye. It appears the premier military academy has gone from a breeding ground for sexual assault to a stronghold of religious intolerance.

However these thoughts from Sally Jenkins (Football's Religious Kick) seem to cut to what seems a more prevalent issue. Is the issue the religious right V. liberal freedom?

...The battle for a theocracy or the battle for the right to practice personal religion?

Since I'm on vacation, I'll submit my opinion and be done with it.

U.S. society as a whole lacks the spiritual depth to demonstrate, tolerate or, sadly, discuss matters of faith. Yet we dress up our shallow nature and call it "diversity." When one takes American society as a whole, we are actually spiritually homogenous.

Does it really matter? I say this spiritual indifference (not just Newsweek) is the true reason for the ubiquitous anti-American mindset.

3 Comments:

Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

"When one takes American society as a whole, we are actually spiritually homogenous."

I agree.

12:11 PM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

Thx, juvenal ... But there has to be some part of my rant you consider off-the-mark.

Care to disagree?

5:08 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

I didn't read all the linked stories and editorials, DeJon, but I don't see anything in what you yourself said that I particularly disagree with.

Rant on, MacDuff.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page