Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

TV Land

After enduring recent discussions on such childish topics as religion and politics, it is finally time to move on to a more substantial topic: television.

TV Land has released its list of the Top 100 Quotes & Catch Phrases in television history in anticipation of its five-day countdown special beginning December 11. If you want to take a gander at the entire list, you can go HERE today. But to save you the trouble, I’ve taken the time to narrow down the list to my personal Top Ten for your fun-filled derision.

My personal theory in ranking these “Quotes and Catch Phrases” is popular endurance. In other words, these are the phrases made famous by television that I believe the proverbial “person on the street” will still be saying long after TV Land has filed bankruptcy.

Here they are:

#10: “Tastes Great! Less Filling!” (Miller Lite advertisement)

#9: “I’m Not a Crook…” (Richard Nixon)

#8: “One Small Step For Man, One Giant Leap For Mankind” (Neil Armstrong)

#7: “Holy (whatever), Batman!” (Robin)

#6: “The Thrill of Victory, the Agony of Defeat” (Wide World of Sports)

#5: “Come On Down!” (Johnny Olson from “The Price Is Right”)

#4: “Smile! You’re on Candid Camera!” (Candid Camera)

#3: “Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You…” (John F. Kennedy)

#2: “Is That Your Final Answer?” (Regis Philbin, “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?”)

#1: “Two Thumbs Up!” (Siskel & Ebert)

4 Comments:

Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

"And now for something completely different."

3:28 PM  
Blogger Unicorn said...

Al:
Finally -- something at an intellectual level in which I can participate - beyond just being awed by the intellectual brilliance of your contibutors.
You've got to find a place for "Where's the beef?" (Wendy's ad)

2:25 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Speaking of missing beef, where were you during the emergent/mainline/narrative theology discussions? You should've been Johnny-on-the-spot for those.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Unicorn said...

Sorry about that, but I read with interest and felt a little out-classed. I'm a little behind in my reading of current stuff. I read the discussions with interest, but remembered one of my mottos -"I learn more when I listen than when I speak".

Will try to do better in the future.

And - how did you know I was beefy? :-)

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page