Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Friday, May 05, 2006

The New Bush Administration

Of all the attention New Orleans has received over the past eight months, the interest of two men named Bush have been noteworthy to the citizens of the devastated city.

One is older, the other much younger. One works in the field of government, the other in the world of sports. One has promised to help the city recover; the other is expected to do that, too, just by carrying a football.

George W. Bush is not the most popular man in the city of New Orleans. Reggie Bush suddenly is.

When the Houston Texans blew it and drafted a defensive end, for the first time in quite a while, New Orleans felt fortune smiling in its direction. And they seized the opportunity and drafted the wildly entertaining tailback from Southern California.

Tickets sales are soaring. Excitement in The Big Easy is rising dramatically. Even I, a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan, am finding myself looking at tickets for the Monday Night Football home opener with Atlanta and wondering if I might end up finding the New Orleans’ combination of Drew & Reggie more compelling than my ‘boys combination of Drew & Julius. Who knows, I might even wear the black and gold this year, too?

Two men named Bush have looked hard at New Orleans this year. They share the same name, but are very different in so many ways. One’s family received private kickbacks from boosters in exchange for his talents. The other played football for USC. (LOL! Sorry, I couldn’t resist that one!)

And one stood in the messed-up city and said unequivocally that he will get the job done. That was the politician. The other, the young football player, said upon his recent arrival to New Orleans, “I’ve been to Little Rock. How close is that to here? I’m still a kid. To be honest, I’m a little nervous about it all. I realize now for the first time I’m leaving the perfect world of Southern California – perfect weather, all my family, my friends – and I’m becoming a man. I just hope I can help the team and the people in this city. They’ve been through so much. I want to help.”

I, for one, hope he is able to do just that.

4 Comments:

Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

It'd be nice to see the Saints give New Orleans something to be proud of -- a rallying point. From recent reports about FEMA and the state of levee reconstruction, it sounds like they're going to need it. So here's hoping Reggie works out better than Ricky.

(Do they have anybody to block for him?)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Kind of off topic, but I would be interested in what Joe or Whitney (or any other Texan fans out there) thinks about the Texans not choosing Bush. I don't have a team in the NFL that I root for, so I don't really pay much attention to the draft. And hopefully this isn't a sore subject right now. Just wondering what the Texans' fans were thinking. (The guy they chose actually seems like a good guy, so I felt bad that at least for a couple of years he's going to be known only as the guy chosen before Bush.)

4:01 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Young seems like a great guy. Just saw a little interview with him on ESPN. Looks like he'll get all the snaps in Tennessee. Sucks, though, when you can't root for your hometown team because they make stupid decisions.

12:29 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

The Titans are a team I could root for, and probably would -- as a secondary team to my Dolphins, of course. Would, that is, if not for the fact that the Titans' presence in Nashville makes it im-freakin'-possible for me to get a single Dolphins game on CBS. I long for the good ol' days when the Titans were in Houston, the Dolphins were on CBS every other Sunday, and God was in his heaven.

Heaven preseve me from another Sunday afternoon of Ian Eagle and Solomon Wilcots, live from Nashville.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page