Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

You So Funny

Since everybody else is taking spring break from blogging, I think I will as well. Actually, I'm just too busy with unimportant things -- work, church, family -- to concentrate on my high-priority to-dos like blogging.

Let's use the comments area (below) for the following game: List the movie/TV quote (or quotes) that really speak to you. You may laugh every time you hear them. You may find excuses to subtly work them into conversations. (I recently -- and quite accidentally -- used "R-U-N-N-O-F-T" while making a church announcement. It got a few giggles. I also worked "Festivus" into the bulletin last Christmas season.)

So, comment away. And tune in next week to hear Wednesday say, "Meeting adjourned."

"No, you say that."

"Say what?"

"Meeting adjourned."

"It is?"

"No. You say that."

"Say what?"

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya

"It's all ball bearings nowadays!" - Fletch

These two quotes find their way into my daily conversations all to often.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Terry Austin said...

Inconceivable!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why are you so sweaty?"
"I've been practicing..."
"Oooooooooh, practicing what?"

"Work, work, work. Hello, boys, did you miss me?"

"Whah hahpenned?"

6:07 PM  
Blogger coolhandandrew said...

it's pretty much all napoleon dynamite quotes for me these days:

"your mom goes to college."

"it's a liger. it's pretty much my favorite animal. it's bred for its skills in magic."

"what the heck are you even talking about?"

"i think i'll build her a cake or something."

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What are ya in for, Ben."
"Molesting a dead horse."
"Well, that's every man's right as an American; I'm trying to cut back myself." (Fletch Lives, Al)

"You think somebody's gonna want a roundhouse kick to the head when I'm wearin' these pants? Fahgeddaboutit."

5:25 AM  
Blogger Terry Austin said...

I'm fighting with the missus over Napoleon Dynamite. I'm dying to see it; she's listening to her mature adult friends who all say it's dumb as a bag of hammers.

Right up my alley.

By the way, each of the quotes listed -- the ones I recognized, anyway -- has brought a smile to my face. Can't believe there haven't been more OBWAT (O Brother, Where Art Thou) references...

Oh, George, not the livestock...

6:51 AM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Terry Austin said...

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!"

"It's made with bits of real panther."

And basically the entire scene featuring the similies related to the scent of Fantana's cologne. (I think those are similies. Coach? Mikey?)

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really must see Dynamite though I doubt Mikey agrees. Also, for high hilarity, it's hard to beat anything directed by Christopher Guest. If you've never seen Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman, and Best in Show, it's about friggin' time.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

I FOUND MY SPECIAL PURPOSE!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Terry Austin said...

Saw "A Mighty Wind." Fun stuff, made even better because the wife hated it so much. The other two are on my lengthy must-see list.

How does Christopher Guest do such high-quality work with six fingers on his right hand?

"Do you own gloves?"

"I rent 'em. Got a lease with an option to buy."


"Whew! Ever seen a spleen that large?"

"Not since breakfast."


"James Jestersten! The man's name is James Jestersten... his name is... Lawrence Felz..."

"Lawrence Jamison?"

"YES! YES! Lawrence Jamison! We're like THIS!"

4:07 PM  
Blogger coolhandandrew said...

ok, here are a couple from my all time favorite comedy:

"i fart in your general direction."

"i though we were an autonomous collective."

"african swallows are non-migratory."

"build a bridge out of her!"

and, since chevy chase is popular around here:

"I'm Dr. Rosenrosen."

"Do you have anything other than Mexican food?"

4:03 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

I'm late to the game, but:

Pretty much anything Henry Blake said on MASH.

"What's wrong with this type?"
"I triple-spaced it. Kinda looks like free verse, huh?"
"It looks like a menu."

"How about a kiss, boy? What's wrong with a kiss?"

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page