Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Brickabracka, firecracka, sis-boom-bah...

real leaders, real leaders,
rah rah rah!


What's a whipped Democrat to do? Your party's on a losing streak so long and so wide, it makes the Mississippi River look like the trail a 5-yr-old leaves when he pees down a hill. The last time the Democrats really did something right, Martin and Bobby were still alive. Now their party doesn't know what it favors, aside from the party itself. It doesn't know what it opposes, aside from the other party. And it has no serious people in its political leadership positions -- I mean, c'mon, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid? You guys are pulling my lariat, right? You don't actually expect people to listen to -- much less, follow -- those 2 nincompoops, do you? (In his defense, Reid is an upgrade over Tom Daschle, but let's face it, Kenny from South Park would be an upgrade over Tom Daschle.)

Proposals for what the Democratic Party should do are various, but they fall into 2 basic categories: swing to the left, swing to the right ("stand up, sit down, fight fight fight" being what they're already doing). The really interesting thing is, regardless of which category a given proposal falls into, that proposal's proponents are starting from the same question: which way should we swing to recapture the most voters?

It is, of course, a silly question. For one thing, the American people are, by and large, sheep. They'll follow anybody who'll get out in front of them and act like he knows where he's going, but if you chase them they just scatter. A large enough number of them to swing an election will buy into any plan or proposal or platform that makes them feel self-confident, feel that things are going to be okay. (Devotees of Ronald Reagan are given to calling this the "man on a white horse" phenomenon. Personally, I hate horses, and white makes me look fat.) That doesn't mean people will follow someone who tells them we don't have any problems; they know better. It means they'll follow anyone who convinces them he or she knows how to fix those problems; they'll get behind most any solution, so long as they're persuaded it will make the problems go away. It might not be just, it might not be moral, it might not, in fact, be at all what they want once they have it, but they're willing to try it. The American people, like most people everywhere, desperately want something to believe in. More than anything, they hate not knowing what to do. When someone comes along and says in a clear, firm, authoritative voice, "Here's what we're going to do, and here's what's going to happen when we do it," they listen.

Which brings us to the second reason why the question being asked in Democratic circles these days is a silly one: it's self-defeating. What the Democrats need is not a new set of more conservative positions, or a new set of more liberal positions. What they need is a set of positions they actually believe in. Do they really believe the decision on whether or not to have an abortion is a decision of private conscience? If so, they should come out strongly for Roe and not apologize for it. Do they really believe it's inappropriate for a state agency like the public schools to be teaching children to favor one religion over another? If so, they should come out strongly in defense of separation of church and state, and say in a clear, strong voice why they believe it's important. Do they really believe gays have the same constitutional rights as everyone else, and should be treated equally under the law? If so, they should stand up for those rights and not flinch, not quaver, not budge an inch.

Why do Republicans rule the day in the realm of "moral values?" It's not because Democrats are on the wrong side of the moral issues. It's because they're on no side of the moral issues. The Democratic Party doesn't appear to truly believe in anything. It seems like American voters favor conservative positions on the culture war issues, but in truth, the conservative positions are simply the only ones they've been offered. The Democrats haven't really stood up for the other side of those issues and said, "Hey, this is right. It might mean some things are going to happen we don't particularly like, but we don't always get to make other people do what we want them to do." If the Democrats don't believe in their positions, why should the voters believe in them?

So, what's my prescription for the Democrats? (I'm sure they're dying to know.) Two things.

First, go somewhere quiet where you can think and reflect seriously about what you value in the American political tradition, what you believe in, and what you believe is wrong. Don't come out till you have some answers you're willing to go to the mat for.

Second: until then, roll over and play dead. I'm serious. Let Mr. Bush and the White House neocons and Tom DeLay and James "Roundpants" Dobson have abso-freakin'-lutely anything they want. Every judge, every tax cut, every constitutional amendment (yes, yes, I know, the states will have to ratify, thank God), every war, every abridgment of civil liberties, every intrusion on privacy, every slash in every government program, every deficit-swelling missile system, every corporate welfare program, every cancellation of international treaties, every environmental mess in the making. I can't think of anything that will dry up electoral support for the America they're selling faster than making people live in it.

Let the American people have what a majority of them apparently think they want. A big, bitter mouthful of it. And hold their nose and don't let go till they swallow. They won't be ready for a second dose for a good, long time. Hopefully, by then, the Democrats will have an actual alternative to offer.

18 Comments:

Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Finally, a plan we can all agree on.
:-)

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alert the media, Juvenal and Guru agree on something! Your party would do well to listen to you. The Democratic pandering isn't fooling anyone. Speaking for myself, and I think many Americans, we would respect your party and its candidates if you simply stated what you believe in. I think one of the many reasons we on the correct, oops I mean right, side of the spectrum continue winning is because the fence sitters know what to expect from us. They might not agree with us on everything, but they know where we stand. The "sheep" fear the unknown worse than anything. They don't feel like they can trust your leadership because they can't tell where you want to lead them. Of course I like the sound of your suggestion to let us have everything we want, but I disagree with your projected outcome. Anyway,I hope your party does exactly what you suggested.

8:09 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Guru, not to spoil this newfound spirit of togetherness, but you gotta stop with this "your party" and "typical Democrat bs" stuff. I'm not a Democrat. I'm a liberal. As a liberal, I hold the Democratic Party in rather low esteem. They don't stand up for what I believe in much more often than the Republicans do (which is next to never). What makes them the lesser of 2 evils -- which is all they are right now, and not by much -- is that at least they don't misrepresent and demonize what I believe in, which is the current Republican Party's favorite tune.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Why wait for the "leaders." There is also a need for strong followers as well--people who are willing to stand for something even when those in power won't do it--people who think about things and try to come to a deeper understanding about issues such as you named rather than knee-jerk reactions (this goes for everyone on the political spectrum). Voters don't *have* to be sheep, we just usually choose to be.

Spot on about Martin and Bobby, too. They were so successful, in part, because they had a huge crisis (or crises) to handle within America, and they were very good at handling it. Since everyone likes to believe that that crisis is over, we are free to turn our attention elsewhere. I have no point here, but I think that if the sheep start standing up, as they did then, they would give the Dem leaders a little more direction.

2:24 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

In general, I agree. However, in Martin's case, at least, it's not as if there was a widely recognized crisis Americans were looking for someone to handle; America, except in small, scattered pockets, didn't consider the situation of blacks a crisis. He had to convince people there was a crisis. It took his leadership (and others') to get the sheep's attention and to make something happen. Before that, there was just scattered, if locally intense, awareness.

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's ok juvenal, I knew it couldn't last. Forgive my labeling, you may be the exception to the rule, but for the most part I believe it's true that all Democrats may not be liberal but all liberals are Democrats. (That is until the ultra liberal left split off and form their own party)

5:37 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

There's at least one more exception to the rule...

Reaching way back to Juvenal's very first article, I'd be interested if there are any out there on the "other" side willing to be critical of the Republican party and its leadership - or if that is somehow considered the unpardonable sin.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Juvenal, I agree, kind of. And I know this is off the point of your article, so forgive. I think most white Americans didn't consider this a crisis until someone brought it to their attention. Maybe what Martin (and Malcolm and Rosa) did was focus those pockets of intensity into a positive direction. Moulding clay and whatnot. These leaders rose up to the occasion, but I think it took followers looking for a strong leader, pushing for one, in order for one to arise. Maybe we should be pushing a little harder, is all I'm saying.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Talk to me, Michael. I visited Montgomery last year and was overwhelmed by the fact that you could stand where Jeff Davis stood when he took the oath of office and see MLK's church building staring back at you.

I happened to be in the hotel that night when a Rosa Parks special came on HBO - MLK struck me as a young preacher thrown into an unbelievable situation. I felt as if his honest study of Jesus made his actions possible, but the actions where thrust upon him. (Read Yancey's "Soul Survivor" section on him - which is a big reason for my impression, too, I'm sure.)

Anyway, it makes me stick a bucket on my head and have a think.

As a preacher today, it makes me wonder if I'm missing the situations. I'm trying to take Jesus seriously (like MLK must have been trying to do to take the actions he took), but I suspect a LOT of other preachers at the time fooled themselves into thinking they were, too. I don't want to be the latter.

A long comment to say, "Would Michael and Juvenal keep having a conversation so I can listen?"

:-)

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, I don't always agree with the leaders and policy makers of my party - most recently on immigration and education policy. I try to follow Reagan's 11th commandment "Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican" and keep those disagreements within the family,so to speak. It's like the difference between booing and just not applauding. I don't applaud the republicans' ideas I don't agree with, but I certainly don't boo them. Booing should be reserved for the really bad ideas, like the ones usually peddled by the other party. I'm a conservative first and a republican second. If my party ever strays too far, I'll drop the party like a bad habit, but I'll drop them quietly and politely.

8:49 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

"for the most part I believe it's true that all Democrats may not be liberal but all liberals are Democrats"

This is a mistake people on your end of the spectrum commonly make. Most liberals may vote for Democrats out of lack of a better choice or as a stopgap against the Republican assault on America's constitutional ideals, but it's far from true that [nearly] all liberals are Democrats. It just looks that way to you guys because you're standing so far down at the other end of the street, or, in many cases, simply because the Republican Party has been selling the idea so hard for so long.

It's like the "liberal media" fable. I can tell you that I, and lots of liberals like me, certainly don't look at the news media and recognize them as being even remotely like us. Those people are decidedly not presenting anything recognizable to me as liberalism or a liberal view of events. They look like liberals to you because you haven't seen a real liberal news program; there isn't one. There are some news websites that are genuinely liberal, a couple of magazines, possibly a few radio stations, but that's about it. There is nothing like a liberal equivalent of the conservative media (i.e., 90% of talk radio, Rupert's world, etc.).

At least, if there is, I haven't seen it.

9:35 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

I don't think I'd agree, Al, that Dr. King's actions were "thrust upon him." The pulpit of Ebenezer Baptist Church had a history and reputation of civil rights activism when King signed on there. (IIRC, his father counseled him against going there for that very reason.) Maybe he never intended to be writing letters from a Birmingham jail, but he wasn't just a young preacher/seeker who wandered by chance into the civil rights movement, or was pulled into it by forces outside himself.

You are right, of course, that many preachers on the side of Jim Crow -- that is, most preachers in conservative churches -- thought, or at least claimed to think, they were doing God's work, too. What bugs me about conservative Christianity is that it utterly fails to learn from its past mistakes. It made the same arguments during Civil Rights that it made during the Civil War, and it's making essentially the same arguments today, only couching them in different language and applying them to different groups.

As for the leadership/followship issue, it strikes me as one of those inductive/deductive reasoning kind of distinctions. Both leaders and followers are required. I'm just saying that, IMHO, the followers for a real liberal leader are out there & already making a lot of noise; what's lacking is the leader. To wit: the Howard Dean campaign.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are what you vote. I vote Republican so I'm a Republican. If you vote Democrat you're a Democrat. Doesn't mean you can't think for yourself or disagree with your party or even change sides. As for the media, I don't look at it as liberal or conservative anymore its new vs. old. Old media(big 3 networks, Times/Post print) is loosing followers and credibility while new media continues to grow. I don't think it has to do with liberal vs. conservative , for me it is the perception that old media editorializes way too much. I don't care what they think about the news just give me the facts, and check them before you publish them, Mr. Rather.

12:10 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

"You are what you vote."

You're entitled to hold that view, of course, but it leaves you with some serious problems. For one, is there no such thing as an independent in your world? For another, what about a person who votes for Democrats 80% of the time? By your rule, she's a Democrat. Period. It doesn't matter that her minivan sports a big "W" sticker, or that most of her votes are in local elections where, as is the case in many places all over the country, there is no functioning local Republican Party or candidate (or, presto change-o, she votes Republican most of the time because there's no Democratic slate of candidates).

It's interesting that you think the Old Media, from which you seem to exclude Fox News (correct me if I'm misreading you), editorializes too much. A recent study by the Project for Excellence in Journalism found that Fox News editorialized more than any other tv news outlet. By a wide margin: 73% of the time to MSNBC's second-place 29%. Their study looked particularly at 2004 coverage of the war in Iraq, but found similar results on other stories.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Back to Dr. King, if I may. I wouldn't say things were necessarily thrust on him, but I don't think he wanted all of the responsibilities he had at the age of (I forget) 25. He joined Ebenezer church for several reasons. They begged him, for one. And they weren't, when he joined them, a church that was doing too much, if I remember correctly (I may not be, but seems like they were in pretty steep decline). I mean, King didn't back away from the responsibilities, and he had prepared himself very well for leading the civil rights movement. (And going back to your article, he kind of did go away and think about things for a couple of years to figure out exactly what he believed it--he moved away and wanted to seperate himself from his father's beliefs.) I think both politics (and, more so, Christianity) needs someone like him to step forward. Someone who is brilliant (and I hate it that King is largely remembered for the "Dream" speech. He has some other great speeches [there are sermons where he discusses Marx and Wittegenstein and other philosophers and makes them very interesting]; his letters and notes that I've read put my intellect to shame, not that that's saying too much), and, sorry for the long parenthetical there, someone who can use that brilliance to talk to everyday people, to talk to people who disagree with him, to talk to people who want to kill him. And before they finally did kill him, he was able to change a lot of things. He even changed Bobby's mind. And Jack's. But the reason I think things were pushed on him is because in his first speech at a church gathering (I think in protest to the bus situation), he didn't even know he was going to speak. He showed up and they announced that he would be, like, the third speaker (I'm not even sure they asked him--they just knew he was the new Ph.D. town). I think that speech is on the HBO documentary. So, in that sense, it was thrust on him.

And, yes, there are some liberals out there who are followers, but there is no organization whatsoever. So I guess I've come back to agreeing with you. We need a Martin or Bobby to focus things.

And one more thing. A lot of the liberal rallys I've been to in the last few years seem very tired. Like stuff I read about happening in the 60s. Liberals need to come up with a completely new way to get their message out and organize in some way. No ideas. I'm done.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

One more thing about King, for whomever even cares what I say, if you ever have a chance to listen to the (I think it's called an autobiography--although it was pieced together by a scholar) book "A Call to Conscience," (I think, it's been a while and I forget), the publisher's did a great job of finding a lot of recordings of King's speeches and conversations. It's amazing. Also, and I know I've lost everyone now except maybe Al, I think Stanford University's website has an archive of King's speeches. You can read pretty much everything he ever preached or spoke about. Seriously, I'm finished now.

2:17 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

My bad. I was thinking of Dexter Ave. Baptist Church, King's first pastorate. Not Ebenezer.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Here's the Stanford site: http://www.stanford.edu/group/King/

if anyone's interested...

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page