Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Reading List

I keep meaning to write the reviews I promised last week on Pynchon and Julavitz. I've started both of them, but I keep getting sidetracked by reading. If you get a chance next time you're in the bookstore, thumb through A Disorder Peculiar to the Coutnry, by Ken Kalfus. One of the best books I've read in a while. Also, I'm re-reading The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss. I read it a couple of years ago when it came out and for whatever reason decided to read it again. It's worth thumbing through as well, even though it probably has one of those ugly "Today Show" stickers on it.

Reviews soon, though.

For no other reason than that I'm listening to this song right now, I'll leave you with the lyrics from a great song by Counting Crows, called "Anna Begins." One of my favorite songs ever. Lots of lyrics, so I'll summarize a bit for you very briefly: the two people in the relationship are discussing whether or not they are "ready for this sort of thing." The guy seems a bit of a jerk for the first half of the story. But toward the end, he's not so much of a jerk. Anyway, I know I'm the only one on here interested in Counting Crows, BUT, if you skip to the end of the song, I love the lines about her sneezing and talking in her sleep. Those are great lines.

My friend assures me "it's all or nothing"
I am not worried- I am not overly concerned
My friend implores me " for one time only, make an exception."
I am not not worried
Wrap her up in a package of lies
Send her off to a coconut island
I am not worried - I am not overly concerned
with the status of my emotions
"oh", She says, "you're changing."
But we're always changing
It does not bother me to say this isn't love
Because if you don't want to talk about it then it isn't love
And I guess I'm going to have to live with that
But, I'm sure there's something in a shade of gray
Or something in between
And I can always change my name if that's what you mean
My friend assures me "it's all or nothing"
But I am not really worried, I am not overly concerned
You try to tell yourself the things you try tell yourself to make
yourself forget, to make yourself forget, I am not worried
"If it's love" she said, "then we're gonna have to think about the consequences"
Cause she can't stop shaking and I can't stop touching her and.....
This time when kindness falls like rain It washes her away and Anna begins to change her mind
"These seconds when I'm shaking leave me shuddering for days" she says.
And I'm not ready for this sort of thing
But I'm not gonna break
And I'm not going to worry about it anymore
I'm not gonna bend. And I'm not gonna break andI'm not gonna worry about it anymore
It seems like I should say "as long as this is love..."But it's not all that easy so maybe I should just
snap her up in a butterfly net-Pin her down on a photograph album
I am not worried I've done this sort of thing before
But then I start to think about the consequences
Because I don't get no sleep in a quiet room and...This time when kindness falls like rain
it washes me away and Anna begins change my mind
And every time she sneezes I believe it's loveand oh lord.... I'm not ready for this sort of thing
She's talking in her sleep-it's keeping me awake
And Anna begins to toss and turn
And every word is nonsense but I understand and oh lord. I m not ready for this sort of thing
Her kindness bangs a gong
It's moving me along and Anna begins to fade away
It's chasing me away. She dissappears, and oh lord I'm not ready for this sort of thing.

6 Comments:

Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

That Kalfus book has been on my Amazon shopping list for a while, but I haven't ordered it, yet. Good, eh?

Is that new Crows, or classic?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

It is. I was hesitant to read yet another book dealing with September 11th. But this one is head and shoulders abover the others, I think.

The Crows is classic. Off their first album. It is a wonderful song. "Everytime she sneezes, I think is love."

2:38 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

I just got DeLillo's 9/11 novel, so I probably won't order the Kalfus anytime soon. I think a review of it is in order, though, if it's the best of the crop.

After Pynchon, though.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

I'm working on the Pynchon, but it's coming slowly. I'll have the Julavitz one next week, though. And then maybe the Kalfus one. I haven't thought much of Delillo's last couple of books, so I haven't really considered reading this one. Even though I loved Underworld and Mao II and Libra.

4:02 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

I'm working on the Pynchon, but it's coming slowly.

Yes, I can see where it might.

I'm not a big DeLillo fan, either. All I've read is White Noise (still haven't gotten around to Underworld), and I thought it was about as interesting as its namesake. Why it's considered an Important Book, I got no clue.

This one seemed more promising, somehow.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Well...I can see why you haven't read Underworld -- it's hard to come by a copy of it.

White Noise....ummmm.....yeah. Agreed. Other than a couple of scenes, it was a waste of time.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page