Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

''The saints are coming"

Its been a long time since I've been as emotionally invested in a sporting event as much as I am this Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

The Houseflies first video is my new rally cry. (It does give me an Oprah moment every time I watch it.)

But here's the deal. I need a reality check. I could be swept up in my own frustrated Saints fandom. Or am I less crazy than I suspect? Is this team one of the more transcendent sports phenomenon in American history?

I vote yes.

Whether the Saints win or lose I know there will still be plenty of suffering on the Gulf Coast.

But I really enjoy considering how those people, bruised and broken by the storm and the broken system, will feel when our New Orleans Saints win in Chicago.

It may not take away all of their pain. But I hope the team gives them a feeling of satisfaction -- even if it is a bit superficial. If just for a moment, I hope they get to feel victorious.

For all of this I dedicate this space for future discussion of Saints Football and how great it will be to celebrate an NFC (and soon a Super Bowl...) Championship!

6 Comments:

Blogger DeJon Redd said...

Sorry for the double post. I learned something from it.

8:18 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

In my book, you're the NFC favorite. Unfortunately, I think -- and thought even before this past weekend's games -- everybody on the AFC side is better than anybody on the NFC side.

It'd be great if NO won it, though. OTOH, I'm tired of hearing sports commentators remark during Saints games on how great/miraculous the city's recovery has been. They make it sound like everything's back to normal in New Orleans, just because the football team can play home games again.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

I am officially on the bandwagon. I'm still a Cowboys fan first, but Romo's slippery hands prevented any sort of conflicted interest from me. I'm for the Saints all the way.

I don't think Rex Grossman can put two good games in a row together, so I feel pretty good about this weekend's game.

And although I agree with JU about the NFC/AFC comparison, I think the Saints might just ride this wave of stuff through a Super Bowl.

But I might just be hoping...

6:47 PM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

If it is Colts v. Saints, there ought to be a LOT of good Manning interviews, eh?

9:47 AM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Weather forecast for Sunday: High of 35, low of 28, and a 30% chance of snow showers.

9:49 AM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

Al, I could be wrong, but I think the Saints have enough versatility on offense to handle bad weather.

And actually, the Saints defense has really shown a propensity to give up the big play. I hope that a little cold and a little snow makes it more difficult to complete passes of 40+ yards. Then we'll just have to prevent the runs of 40+.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page