Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Friday, October 06, 2006

The Latest Evangelical Panic

This article, and the entire concept of the four-percent panic, is further proof that some Christians have a strong desire to view themselves as beleaguered and marginalized when in reality they are nothing of the sort. I do not understand this persecution complex. The five-percent number cited later in the article was not true even in my high school, which I think (in terms of my peers) did not particularly embrace open religious behavior at school. The other factor that these adults seem to overlook is that, as I understand it, plenty of folks drift away from or at least question religion during their teen and early adult years, but return to it as they get older and especially after they have their own children. I really don't think the evangelicals have anything to worry about. Since the admitted goal of many of them is to take over the world and install a theocracy, if anything it's people like me who should be worried.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Hey Sandi -- this is one of those NYT Select -- or whatever they call it -- articles. So I couldn't read it. So I'll just talk without having read it. I have no explanation for why Christians in America today would feel persecuted. Part of it, and I'm just making this up as I go, is that is part of the history of Christianity. It began as a faith that was persecuted in the truest sense of the word. And the N.T. is constantly speaking of being persecuted and how to defend against the very strong powers of the world. I think that'd have some sort of impact on how Christians view themselves. The book we study from is constantly telling us we are being persecuted.

Just a thought. Have no idea why we feel like that in the 21th Cent.

4:02 PM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Yet another problem created by a woodenly literalist habit of thinking.

I also think it's partly just that a siege mentality makes life simple. Everything is nice and clear and absolutely certain. Good guys against bad guys. No moral reasoning required.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page