Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Friday, March 31, 2006

"God wants us to prosper"?

Preliminary note: The 5 people who read this blog regularly (come on Al, there may be more like 8) may have noticed that I've been posting on days that aren't strictly my days. And that I seem to have strayed from strictly talking about progressive politics. But you know what, I think that's okay. I think having more posts keeps the momentum going, and that's a good thing, so I'm going to keep it up. And, I wanted to say that this little online community has really become something that I look forward to and enjoy. I'm pretty cut off from people here in D.C. other than my coworkers and my husband, since all of our family and friends live far away, so it's nice to have some kind of community, even if it's just online.

Yes, the one thing about being secular that is a big downer is that there's no automatic social outlet for us heathens. I have even thought about (gasp!) trying to find a Unitarian church to go to. Alas, TiVo can only fulfill so many needs. I was thinking about this in relationship to the whole megachurch phenomenon. I've sent articles to Al before asking him what C of C folks think of this nondenominational, flashy entertainment, thousands of people, warm fuzzy feel-good-about-yourself-God-loves-you-no-matter-what deal. Even though I'm no longer in the church, I feel like I have the C of C reaction anyway: if it's too much fun, it ain't religion. LOL. But seriously, it seems to me that most of the people who attend these churches don't have a deep spiritual commitment to anything other than feeling good about themselves. It just seems very shallow.

Then I came upon this article in the New York Times this morning about one of the ministers of one of these huge churches in Houston. I was horrified at how materialistic this guy is and how he is using religion as a vehicle to make himself rich and then to justify his wealth. And then there is the whole thing about praying for a good parking spot. Ick!! What do others make of these megachurches?

6 Comments:

Blogger Terry Austin said...

Hi Sandi.

Osteen reminds me of Rev. Lovejoy of the Simpsons, and I have no idea why. It may be on looks alone. And I always want to call him (Joel) Claude. (Claude Osteen was a pitcher for the Dodgers eons ago.)

As for the megachurch scene, I much prefer the "small group movement" to the megachurch one. But that's just me.

I considered going to a Unitarian church once, but my brain kept connecting Unitarian with "unitard," and I just couldn't get past the mental image.

Today's word verification is brought to you by "maxluce."

8:59 AM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Hey Sandi, you keep posting articles any day you want!!! I've decided I'm going to try my hand at some different days, too - the more the merrier...

You found good ol' Joel Osteen!!! My wife gets nauseous when he comes on television. I never watch him, but once we were in a hotel and caught part of one of his shows/sermons. He talked about his wife teaching him faith by praying for a mansion and getting one. I just laughed.

But it isn't really that funny, huh?

I used to be attracted to the megachurch idea years ago (I like the new term, gigachurch in the article!), but something changed in me along the way. I don't despise the concept, but I see great danger in it. My favorite author, Eugene Peterson, refers to much of it as idolatry. And I see where he's coming from. People want something sparkly.

I've got a good friend who preaches at a megachurch, however, and I think he is awesome. (So I won't be engaging in complete blanket criticism.) But all that glitters is not gold.

A fomerly well-known youth minister (who is passed on now) named Michael Yaconelli once wrote that the main concern churches should have with numbers is that they don't get too big. I think his advice is worth considering.

You see, its hard to deny that churches should be concerned with "growing" given the NT, but I personally subscribe to a different model. If by some weirdness my congregation began to grow large, I would push taking a group and starting another small church in a different part of town instead of selling out and buying a shopping mall.

But that's just me...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Duane said...

I, for one, can't stand the health-and-wealth-gospel approach to Christianity. An affluent lifestyle doesn't look much like the lifestyle of the one whom we claim to follow, i.e. Jesus.

The entertainment thing really bugs me too, not because of my Church of Christ background but because there's a huge difference between worship and entertainment.

These are just a couple of random thoughts.

1:29 PM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

I hear ya, Sandi. I get the same feel from the groupies living out the religion of Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven Life."

It all seems so very self-centered … Which is the opposite of what I understand to be Jesus Christ's example.

There seems to be a fundamental question of "what can religion/God/church do for me?"In my opinion: wrong question. (I avoid the temptation to use JFK's powerful, but now trite quote, "Ask not...)

But a guy I met recently said it much better than I could and took some heat for it. I hope you can check it out.

2:58 PM  
Blogger JD said...

Ditto on the 'health and wealth'gospel.

I cringe every time I hear someone say, though, that they like small churches. Faith communities are to be outwardly focused. Sometimes ... a lot of times ... they will be small. But the first church started off with 2,000 members. They did not start off with a gigantic worship service, though ... they met in each other's homes. Effective large churches are built on the foundation of wonderful small groups. So I think I understand when people say "i want a small church" but it sounds like "i hope God doesn't lead too many people to our church".

Needless to say, I have never pastored a mega-church and likely never will ... my spiritual gift seems to be shrinking churches.

Anyhoo ... Joel "moonpie" Osteen is a mystery to me. I don't get it.

Good thoughts.

6:03 AM  
Blogger juvenal_urbino said...

Sandi -- I had the same thoughts during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, watching T.D. Jakes roam among the completely dispossessed on the floor of the Astrodome.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page