Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Go team

I feel the readers of the DH deserve a little research behind their sports post. But this week the leader of the free world stopped by my humble occupational setting and truncated my Thanksgiving and my blogging prep time. (And to be clear I’m making excuses more than dropping names.)

Here’s what’s on my mind…

For the first time I can remember I have had a great high school football season. My alma mater just fell short in the state quarter finals. Disappointing? No. We had our first undefeated regular season since 1943!

Right here in Tucson our local high school team plays tonight for a spot in the state finals. And the excitement is contagious.

I’ll admit I’m somewhat addicted to scouting and recruiting. My wife must restrain me from buying subscriptions to every recruiting website out there. She allows me rivals.com, tigerbait.com, dandydon.com, ESPN insider. I love rankings, the hotstove and Mel Kiper Jr.

I love to tell the story of seeing players from my home town like Warrick Dunn, Major Applewhite, Travis Minor and Todd McClure, play in high school.

I know you sports fans remember seeing the great ones from your home town. And that’s one reason why my love for high school sports is all coming back. I consider it exciting to hope maybe one of those kids will make the hometown list of memorable athletes.

Anyone want to share a good memory?
How’s your team doing?

3 Comments:

Blogger coolhandandrew said...

Some of you will remeber Ali Thompson from Jonesboro, who played on the sickest high school basketball team I've seen. Though he never panned out in college, he was physically dominant at the high school level, dunking at will. I remember stories of him throwing down 360's out of a 1/2-court set. He was certainly fun to watch.

9:15 AM  
Blogger DeJon Redd said...

coolhand,

I really don’t mean this as a slight against the hogs, but I checked out your guy Ali Thompson … Looks like he ran in to some tough times.

“Former U of A basketball player arrested after stabbing”

10:58 AM  
Blogger Al Sturgeon said...

Ali was an original skywalker!

One of my best memories was when the National AAU tournament was held in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and I got to see the likes of Anfernee Hardaway, Chris Webber, Corliss Williamson, and Tony Delk play. Tony Delk's 4th quarter against Arkansas' wings was the best individual performance I've ever seen in person - period.

Down here, Ocean Springs went to the state football finals last year, an unbelievable turn-around for a school district whose main calling card used to be the band. They had a good run this year, too - thanks to DeJon's new LSU boy, Richard Dickson - but they lost a lot of firepower from last year and fell short of last year's accomplishment.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page