Desperate Houseflies: The Magazine

Feel free to pull out your trusty fly swatter and comment on what is posted here, realizing that this odd collection of writers may prove as difficult to kill as houseflies and are presumably just as pesky. “Desperate Houseflies” is a magazine that intends to publish weekly articles on subjects such as politics, literature, history, sports, photography, religion, and no telling what else. We’ll see what happens.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What Had Happened Was...

You can always count on the Houseflies for timely, informative pieces. Since you last heard from any of us...There's the whole Supreme Court thing going on. Pretty much every Repulican in the House and Senate has been charged for somethingorother. Most of the charges make no sense to me. But whatever. William Bennett made some outlandish statements that aren't actually too much different than a lot of the stuff he's written before, but for whatever reason, this time people noticed and made a big deal (or made a big deal of other people making a big deal). The Democrats somehow manage to still seem irrelevant despite Republican attempts to make them so in the past couple of weeks.

Nobel Prizes were handed out. There was an actual stink in the literary world, as one of the members of the jury up and quit days before the winner was announced because he thought the rest of the committee didn't know a good book from Dan Brown. They picked a playwrite this year, I think. I'd never heard of him. I should be embarrassed about this, but I'm not.

In the sporting world: Hockey's back! I near soiled myself when the first puck dropped. And the whole two line pass thing...we'll be debating the merits of this rule change for generations. Is there a funner baseball team to watch than the Astros? As a Cardinals fan, I don't even like the Astros. For years I was one of the people who always rooted for them to loose to whomever they were playing. But now it's kind of like rooting against your 80 year-old-lifelong-bachelor-of-an-uncle getting a date. Actually, I don't feel sorry for the B's or their fans, and I don't think they're fun to watch because they have played some close, exciting games. They're fun to watch because they seem excited about playing. They seem to enjoy themselves, and they play very hard. I love the Cards, but I wish they'd play with the same enthusiasm.

Pictures-wise. Well...I've managed to move to across country and not take a picture worth posting on the blog. That's not entirely true. I've taken lots of pictures -- I just haven't developed them yet. I don't have a digital camera because I'm too cool for all this new-fangled technology.

I've not heard a word from our Editor-in-Chief, which I'm taking as good news. I assume Al and his family are working hard to get their community back together. We seem to have fallen apart since Katrina. I think that took a lot of energy out of us, and obviously, it effected Al and the families of other contributers greatly. Hopefully, we can get back into the swing of things, even if it takes a while.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lasley said...

Joe, glad to hear Al is doing well. And the Stros certainly deserved this series. They out-played the Cards. And Oswalt. The guy can pitch.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page